My personal recommendations for all dogs having arthritic joint pain:
1. Dasuquin A veterinary-exclusive product made by Nutramax, this is the most highly recommended glucosamine/chondroitin product on the market. The addition of ASU (avacado/soybean unsaponifiables) is what has demonstrated this product to be superior to other products. Studies done in dogs with ruptured cruciate ligaments have shown reduced development of cartilage and subchondral bone lesions.
2. Omega 3 Fatty Acids Great for skin, great for the heart, great for the joints. (If you're giving them for dogs with skin concerns and are worried about potential food allergy, don't give the capsule itself. The gelatin is made of meat proteins. Simply puncture the capsule if your pet has allergies and give the contents, or use a liquid product.). Be sure to choose a reputable product. I have made some suggestions below.
Welactin Omega 3 Nutramax
Allerderm Efa-Caps Virbac
Free Form Snip Tips, Liquid DVM (gelatin in capsules is pork-based so capsules can be given whole)
Omega 3 Pets Nordic Naturals
3. Adequan Injections In one study, 75% of dogs given Adequan injections had significantly improved lameness scores after treatment.
5. Physical Therapy
6. Chiropractic Treatment, if indicated for your pet
7. Class IV Cold Laser Therapy, if indicated for your pet